Renting with Big Dogs (and Pit bulls!)
Here we have listed third party information on Pet Friendly Housing Searches, Renter’s Insurance, Pet-Proofing Your Home, and more! Chicago is a very dog-friendly city, and most of the limitations seem to be size and weight limits rather than breed restrictions. Even so, finding dog-friendly housing can be tough, especially if your best friend is a pit bull or pit bull mix. Rejection hurts, but don’t panic! Instead, be proactive and ready to prove to landlords why you and your dog are the perfect tenants. We have also heard that it’s easier to rent from a specific landlord who owns the building than trying to work with a management company.
Give yourself time: It can can several weeks to find a home that will allow your dog, so plan ahead and be resourceful and persistent. Craigslist is a great resource for dog friendly housing ads. You may want to consider placing a ‘Housing Wanted’ ad on Craigslist while you’re there.
Interviewing with a Landlord: Some landlords are hesitant to allow a pit bull-type dog, but if you can, try to setup a dog ‘interview’ (which is really just showing up and letting the landlord meet your dog). We’ve heard about people putting together portfolios with letters of reference, (from foster parents, former landlords, trainers), training certificates and photos for landlords who were hesitant to meet a dog.
Apartment Availability: Here are some blog reported pit bull friendly Chicago areas (still call and ask about breed/weight restrictions)…Logan Square, Ravenswood, East Village (Ukrainian Village), Uptown (around Margate Park), Old Town, Wicker Park, Humbolt Park, Andersonville, & West Town areas.
Pet Friendly Housing Searches
Here are some resources to get you started on a successful search for an animal-friendly apartment (still call and ask about breed/weight restrictions).
- BLUEGROUND CHICAGO – Collection of more than 150 pet-friendly furnished apartments in Chicago.
- MYPITBULLISFAMILY – Database of non-discriminatory housing options for families across the country. If you know of a Pit Bull friendly rental property, please take a moment to share the info with others here. Also has tips for families and tips for landlords.
- CHICAGO HOTPADS – Select dogs in Advanced Filters.
- ZILLOW RENTALS CHICAGO – Click more drop down menu and select Pets Allowed.
- TRULIA CHICAGO – Click the ‘All Filters’ button for the Pets section.
- BAIRD & WARNER – View Chicago’s Dog-Friendly Buildings.
- RENTCAFE – Find pet friendly apartments for rent in each US City, State, County, District, Neighborhood & Zip Code.
- RENTAL ADS – Chicago and Suburbs.
- DOMU PET FRIENDLY APARTMENTS – Chicago and Suburbs.
- HUMANE SOCIETY – Click the ‘Resources for pet-owning renters’ link at the bottom of the page.
- ANIMAL HUMANE SOCIETY – Click the ‘Search for a pet friendly home online’ link.
- APARTMENT LIST
- APARTMENT GUIDE
- APARTMENT FINDER
Since liability is every property owner’s biggest concern, buy a renter’s policy that will cover your dog and let prospective landlords know that when you apply. How much? State Farm Insurance will sell a $300,000 liability policy for around $300 a year. This is a small price to pay to help your landlord feel good about renting to you. Resources for Renter’s Insurance.
Insurance providers who do not discriminate by breed:
- State Farm
- Farmers Insurance Group
- United Services Automobile Association (for veterans and families of veterans)
- Chubb Group
- Auto-Owners Insurance
- Nationwide (only insures pit bulls with CGC certification)
- Lester Kalmanson Agency Inc.
More info on finding a New Home for You & Your Dog…
- Bad Rap: they have some great info (some of which is already referenced here)
- Humane Society of the US: they have great tips as well
Pet-Proofing Your Home
“A Guide to Pet-Proofing Your Home for a Foster Rescue Animal”
Taking on a foster dog is a big decision, but a very worthwhile and meaningful one also. Uphomes has curated this guide to help get you prepared for the responsibility, and teach you how to get your house ready for your furry guest. From how to prep your house, yard, and lifestyle, we can help you before your journey begins.
* Information provided by other organizations, including links to external websites, does not constitute endorsement by It’s A Pittie Rescue of the opinions, information, products or services of that organization.